Thursday, March 1, 2012

Remembering

I was flipping through the iPod this morning, looking for something I could be in the mood for listening to on my way to work. I came across a band that Anthem used to play with years and years ago. The band was called In Stereo (and had previously been called Lights Out). I had one EP from each of the band's incarnations. I listened to each of them on the way in, and it threw me back in time about 9-10 years. I loved that band back then, and I still love the songs today, even though I'm sure the band is long gone.

It made me wonder if those guys had any idea that anyone still listens to their recordings and enjoys them. Then I wondered if anyone still listens to Anthem's music occasionally (other than actual members of Anthem, that is). My guess is probably not.

I stated a year or so ago that my only real regret with Anthem was not pushing more, playing more shows, trying to tour, etc. I believe I have changed my mind on that. My real regret is not having recorded as much as we could/should have. We have plenty of recordings, and they're certainly fun to listen to and be nostalgic. All of those recordings, however, are of a fairly poor quality and were done by beginners who were still learning the ropes.

That's one of the things I love about The Last Chucks. We record in a real studio with professional gear by someone who has enough experience to make the stuff sound awesome in the end. Granted, this costs money. Thankfully, this is money that does not come out of my pocket, because if that were the case, this would not be able to happen. To Mike, who pays the man, I am very grateful.

I just want to have something I can listen to in the future and pay attention to the song itself rather than the sound quality. Thankfully, with The Last Chucks, this is the case. Sadly, with Anthem, it is not. Maybe Jason (from Anthem - who, over the years, has become one of those aforementioned experienced studio guys) will get a wild hair one day and decide he wants some quality recordings of past Anthem songs, too. Maybe we'll get together just for fun and put something down. Maybe not. Who knows...

Oh, also it occurred to me this morning that Anthem has now been broken up for longer than we were together (more than 6 years).

No comments:

Post a Comment