Thursday, June 4, 2009

So long, Tommy.

So...

The Braves released Tom Glavine yesterday. Didn't trade him...just flat released him. The 43-year-old has been playing for Atlanta since 1987 (with the exception of a 5 year stint with the Bravos most hated rival, but I digress). Obviously, everyone who is/was close to Glavine within the organization and throughout baseball is saying they're shocked, bewildered, and saddened. The fan reaction, however, has been a little more spread out through the emotional spectrum.

Some fans are sad to see him go. Some fans are willing to accept it, because this is a new Braves team, and we're looking toward the future with new pitchers Kris Medlen and Tommy Hanson. Still, some fans are still really mad about Glavine's spokesmanship for the Players' Union in the 1994 strike, his leaving for New York in 2003, and his holding out for a bigger contract before the 2009 season, and they think this is what he deserves.

I, like my tagline states at the top of this blog, am somewhere in the middle.

FROM A BASEBALL STANDPOINT

I'm somewhat of a baseball traditionalist, so I'm always sad to see an era end. I will be realistic about all this, however. Eras begin and they end. If Glavine stays, we don't have the opportunity to bring up Tommy Hanson. This is the first time in a while that the Braves have had a surplus of good starting pitching. Sorry, there just isn't enough room for everybody. Our current starters are Lowe, Jurrjens, Kawakami, Vasquez, Medlen, Reyes, Hanson, and Glavine (not to mention Tim Hudson, who's due back from injury any month now). That's eight (or nine) pitchers. A big-league starting rotation is 5 pitchers. It's just a simple matter of space.

You've got to stay with your best five, which in my opinion are: Lowe, Jurrjens, Kawakami, Vasquez, and Hanson (moving Medlen to the bullpen). Jo-Jo Reyes and Tom Glavine just don't make the cut. Yeah, it's sad, but hey, we want to win.

FROM A PERSONAL STANDPOINT

Since he left in 2003, I haven't really been what you'd call a Tom Glavine fan. His leaving was a bummer, but...
1. He went to the Braves' biggest rival (even though he never did that well against the Braves)
2. I have since learned (from "Built To Win", by John Schuerholz) that it was after an hours-long, bitter shouting match of a meeting that he decided to go.

When he came back for the 2008 season, a lot of people were thrilled, but I wasn't really sold. He was getting old, and I didn't really know if he had anything left. Sure enough, when he got injured, he was a mere 2-4 in thirteen starts.

There's the loyalty thing, I guess, but he's already shown that he's not really loyal to Braves fans, so why should we be loyal back?


To sum up, I'm not really happy to see him go, but at the same time, I'm not sad to see him go, either. I am shocked, though, that the Braves dropped him, just like that. I guess it shows that management is willing to make the tough calls in order to trim the fat and put a winning product out on the field. They also traded yesterday for an outfielder from Pittsburgh who is supposed to help us out offensively.

I'm not worried about Glavine...he supposedly still wants to pitch, and I'm sure he will. There are teams out there that are hurting for starting pitching. He'll get another shot.

The whole situation is surprising to say the least, but I really think it's a breath of fresh air. These are some of the changes necessary for the Braves to have a chance at the post-season this year.

1 comment:

  1. i dont really care about Glavine, but i am still upset about Smoltz... i was going to get a Smoltz jersey...

    ReplyDelete