Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Right-Round, Baby, Right-Round

Today started off like any other day. I got up this morning and took Cohen to my parents' house. Before I left their house to go to work, my dad and I noticed that my tires are in TERRIBLE shape. I knew they were bad, but I had no idea that the metal weave part of the inside was exposed (I'm sure that stuff has a name, but I don't know what it is).
Anyway, I knew it was time to get new tires, and my plan was to do it at lunch.

Well, that was the plan.

Some of you may know the access road one can take from the Pleasant Hill exit, up 85 North. There are multiple opportunities to exit and get on to 85 (or "the 85", as some of my friends from California may call it), or if you want, you can just stay on the access road for a long time, skipping any potential traffic on the interstate (or "the freeway", as some of my friends form California may call it). That's what I do every morning. I just stay on that road until the last opportunity to get on the freeway 85. That decision very well may have saved my life this morning.

Somewhere between the Hwy 120 exit and the Sugarloaf exit is where it happened. Oh, I didn't mention...it was raining this morning. I hit the tiniest of puddles, and away I went. First, my car turned right. It was still moving straight, mind you, the car was just turned and oriented right. I eased off the gas, trying not to hit the brakes, and I cut my wheels left to try and correct it. Oh, i went left alright. This time, not only did the orientation of my car turn left, but my direction did, too. Right into the wall.

I was kind of at a diagonal to the wall when I hit it, but it the wall caught just the front of my right-front corner and put me into a spin. I don't know if it was 1 full spin or if it was 2. When I finally came to a stop after what seemed like 30 full seconds of spinning, I just sat there, bewildered, hands shaking too much to even fumble for my phone at first. Thankfully, I was on the uncrowded access road, and there weren't many other cars around. Had I been on 85, I would have definitely hit someone, should I have encountered a puddle like that, and the damage would have likely been bodily, rather than just automobile-um-ically.

Long and the short...I'm okay. My car is a different story, however. I filed a police report for insurance purposes, had the car towed, and my boss came and picked me up, and basically, this is where my story falls apart, because it isn't true, and I'm not that creative. Today is in fact the first day of the fourth month of the year, and I just thought I had to do something to honor it.

2 comments: