Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Catch Twenty-Two

Something you wish you hadn't done in your life.


Started smoking. Some would call it peer pressure. I don't think I would...not direct peer pressure, anyway. None of my friends actively asked me to smoke, or tried to persuade me in any way. I just tried it one day. I didn't like it. That should have been the end of the story, but it wasn't. I decided to make myself like it. I was 21 years old when I started smoking. I figured it'd probably be a phase, and I'd be done within a year or so. Obviously, that wasn't the case. I'm 31 now, and despite my wanting to quit (and having actually tried numerous times), I still haven't been mentally able to shake it. To top it off, some of the friends that I hung out with during the time I started have now quit. Not me, though.

If you don't smoke (or haven't smoked), you won't understand this, but it's just not as easy as setting it down and not picking it back up. If it were, I would have quit on the day of my wedding (the first time I "quit"...that actually lasted an entire week). I would have quit on the day Cohen was born (that time lasted about a day). I would have quit 6 months ago (I made it 36 hours that time).

So...yeah. That's it. I want to quit. I have no plan of action at the present moment. And here we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment