Thursday, November 11, 2010

Eighteen and Life*

Your views on gay marriage

I would have to agree with my sister on this one. Yes, it may be biblically wrong (actually, if I understand correctly, the act of gay sex is biblically wrong...I do not know if there's a specific mention of gay marriage...but, I would understand the argument...six of one, half a dozen of the other). Regardless, it is not my place to judge anyone. Who am I to say that the law should prevent someone from doing something just because it is not what I personally would want to do? It has absolutely no effect on me or my day-to-day life, and I am yet to see a reason it should or would. It does absolutely nothing to the "sanctity" of the union I have with my own wife (which is about the dumbest argument I've heard against gay marriage to date).

There are many different ways of looking at the issue (whether one chooses to be gay vs. being born gay, whether the bible is a good basis for lawmaking, etc), but in the long run, I am for personal freedom, so long as it does not affect the freedoms or property of others.

*alternate title: Eighteen Wheels and a Dozen Roses

3 comments:

  1. I'll just throw this in for consideration. Our values are based in biblical teachings (contrasted with the atheist's values which are based in current social mores). With that as our foundation, gay marriage is just wrong. It doesn't matter if we agree or disagree. Our value system says it's wrong. It doesn't matter if it effects our day-to-day life, it's still wrong.

    Compare this with abortion. Take away the fact that abortion is sanctioned murder and just look at it from the perspective of principals/values. Even though it is legal, our value system says it's wrong. Even though someone having an abortion most likely doesn't effect our day-to-day lives, it is still wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gay marriage, like abortion, I feel should be a choice someone is free to make. Though it is wrong in my opinion, it is not the opinion of many others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I answered the wrong question. The question I answered was about my views of the legalization of gay marriage. That, I have no problem with. As far as my view on the idea of gay marriage in and of itself...well, to be honest, I don't really have a problem with that either.

    I guess that brings up an interesting question: What happens when what I personally believe doesn't jibe with "our values"? Also, what happens when "our values" in the sense of faith (homosexuality is wrong) conflict with "our values" in the political aspect (personal freedom)?

    I tend to believe (as will be evidenced by my next blog post) that I can have my faith, you can have yours, and everyone else can have theirs, too, so long as we agree to let each other live it out. We are more than welcome to try and persuade each other till we're blue in the face. Sometimes it will work. Sometimes it won't. However, legislating "our" faith, so as to force others who don't agree to follow what "we" believe, I'm not down with.

    ReplyDelete