Monday, November 8, 2010

Fifteen

Something or someone you couldn't live wihout, because you've tried living without it.

As much as I hate to say it...the answer is: playing in a band. With the exception of a couple of months in 1999, and a couple of months in 2005, I have constantly been in some band or another since I was about 17. Granted, I could probably live without it, but I get antsy. If I go a couple of weeks without a band practice*, I get annoyed. It's just something I have to do. I'm not particularly creative, nor to I have any kind of motivation to go out and try to make a career out of music. I just like getting to pick up my bass once a week and pound out some songs for an hour, for no other reason than it's fun.

Sure it'd be nice to play a show every now and then. I think I've just come to peace with the conclusion that it'll never happen, though. I've let myself get bothered by it in the past, but no more. I'm just going to be satisfied with my hobby. If someone (in particular) decides to book us a show, I'll be thrilled. I'm just not going to expect it.

*I use the word "practice" loosely. That word infers that there's something coming up that one would need to prepare for. I suppose I could call it "jam", but that's stupid. Maybe we should call it our weekly band play...or something, I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment