Saturday, November 20, 2010

Twenty-Four*

Make a playlist to someone, and explain why you shoce all the songs.

At first I thought this one was pretty lame. Then, after I thought about it, I realized the direction popular music is (and has been) headed. Therefore, not only do I think it's not a terrible idea, but it may actually be beneficial in the long run.

This playlist is dedicated to Cohen. The reason isn't all mushy and lovey-dovey. It's so by the time he's a teenager, he'll know what good music is (was). Admittedly, some of the songs may be inappropriate for a kid, so maybe I won't play him some of this stuff until he's older. Also, note that this isn't in any particular order. I just don't have time for that.

1. Guns N Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
This is my hands-down favorite song of all time. Awesome lead guitars, good vocals, nice aesthetics. It's an all around good song. There are a ton of little things going on through the song that the average person wouldn't catch, but a musician (or a fan of writing/arranging/the recording process) is more likely to hear and appreciate these things.

2. Buckcherry - Time Bomb
Sure, the chorus states "Life ain't nothin' but bitches and money", but I put this song on the list for a couple of reasons: (A) Man, it's just a good song, regardless of the appropriateness of the lyrics. It's catchy as all get out, plus it features Josh Todd, a vocalist who is very distinct. Maybe he doesn't have the best voice in the world, but what he has fits perfectly with the music he's playing, and (B) I think a lesson can be learned that sometimes you listen to good music for the simple fact that it's good music. Even if the content isn't ideal, sometimes there's just no mistaking a good rock and roll band. I can also point out to Cohen that Josh Todd, while he sings about drugs and sex, is actually married, has kids, and is completely sober (which is the truth). Sometimes entertainers "play a part". The public persona isn't always what is real (read: don't judge a book by its cover).

3. The Darkness - I Believe In a Thing Called Love
Sometimes songs are serious, sometimes they're fun, and sometimes they're just silly. This one falls in that last category. It's a hard rock song sung in all falsetto. Despite its being silly, somehow, it's really good, too.

4. Dwight Yoakam - Guitars, Cadillacs
While rock and roll is my music of choice, that doesn't mean all other genres are bad. I have 35 Dwight Yoakam songs on my iPod, and I had a hard time picking one because I think they're all great.

5. The Last Chucks - Bluebird Revisited
Of course Cohen would need to hear his daddy play! This is the first of two Chucks song I'm putting on the list. I chose this one because it's catchy and fun. It's very technical, too. The bass (what I play on it) is extremely fast, involved, and difficult to play, but the average person would never catch that.

6. The Last Chucks - Homeless Romantic
While I picked the last one because of its catchiness, I picked this one because of the weirdness. The time changes constantly. It fits absolutely no song-writing formula. Maybe Cohen will be a musician when he's older. If this is the case, he will appreciate the crap out of the technicalities of this song.

7. Five Iron Frenzy - Every New Day
While some (most) of the music I listen to is for fun, sometimes lyrics can be so meaningful, it will make a man cry. That's all I have to say about this song.

8. In Stereo - Waking Up
Not all the best bands become nationally famous. This is the case with this band. You've never heard of them. I've barely heard of them. They are (were, actually...they are no more as far as I know) a local Atlanta band that released one EP, and that's it. This song is on all my "fun songs" playlists, though.

9. John Mayer Trio - Everyday I Have the Blues
I'm pretty sure this was originally done by BB King, but the JMT version is pretty great. Once in a while, you just want to hear some good blues.

10. Robert Randolph and the Family Band - Going in the Right Direction
Is it Funk? Is it rock and roll? I don't know. What I do know, though, is that it has lots of soul, and it will make anyone want to dance. Lead singer plays a lap steel, which doesn't really fit either of the genres I mentioned. It sounds so good, though. I fell in love with this band the first time I ever heard them. They played on some awards show back in 2004 with Earth, Wind, and Fire. RR&TFB were better.

I'm sure I could come up with more, but I think ten is sufficient for now. This is probably a pretty long post as it is already.

*As in the Fox hit series, 24

No comments:

Post a Comment