Monday, November 15, 2010

Matchbox Twenty*

Your views on drugs and alcohol.
(when I mention "drugs", I will be referring only to illegal drugs...duh)

There are a couple of different ways of looking at it. There's the legal standpoint and the responsibility standpoint.

First off is the legal standpoint: Well, we all know what the laws are concerning both of these things. Alcohol is legal, so long as the drinker is old enough, does not drive intoxicated, and is not drunk in public (which, I guess is up to interpretation...I mean, there are bars). Drugs are obviously illegal.

From a responsibility standpoint:
Drugs: I guess there's a time and a place for everything. Of course, some drugs are very addictive and can ruin one's life, should the person allow them to take control. I can never see a right time or place to smoke crack or shoot heroin. Pot, I guess, can be different. I personally will never do it (again...I did it once about ten years ago, so I'm all set). Honestly, I think it's kind of stupid. I don't necessarily think it's wrong (outside of the obvious issue of it being illegal), but I just don't see the appeal.

I actually had an opportunity to smoke pot very recently. I was at a friend's house a couple of weeks ago. Three of us were standing outside talking about music or movies or something, and one of the guys said (in a stoner-sounding voice), "So, you guys wanna smoke some weed?" The other guy and I just kind of chuckled and said, "Nah, I'm all good". He replied, "Okay, I'm gonna go inside and smoke some weed". I decided about ten minutes later that it was time for me to leave.

I didn't necessarily have a problem with a bunch of people sitting around in a house smoking some pot. It didn't affect me or anyone else other than the people that chose to do it. I just didn't want to be a part of it. I mean, I'm a grown up, right?

Alcohol: I've had my indulgences just like most everyone else. I actually don't really like alcohol for the most part. Occasionally (rarely...like 3-4 times a year), though, I will drink some. Most times it goes well. Occasionally it does not. I guess there's not much of a fundamental difference (from a responsibility standpoint) between acting stupidly as a result of alcohol versus acting stupidly as a result of weed (again, outside of the obvious issue of legality). I guess that doing either responsibly is okay. I just don't like one and don't mind the other.

I guess it boils down to the first point. One is legal (with conditions) and the other is not. That's all there is to it, really. Do what you want, but be prepared to deal with the consequences (legal or otherwise).

*Getting into these higher numbers, it's hard to find interesting pop culture references for titles

No comments:

Post a Comment