Wednesday, November 10, 2010

She's Only Seventeen

A book you've read that changed your views on something.

Here's the problem. I love to read. I read for entertainment's sake, though. Lately, I have been thinking back over books I have read, and I realized that I haven't really retained much of anything. When I read, it's usually interesting in that moment. When the moment is gone, usually so is what I just read. I mean, I can generally tell you the basic plotline of any novel or the overlying theme of any nonfiction work, but very rarely do I remember specifics. The good thing is that it allows me to go back and read books a second and third time. The bad thing is that what I read usually doesn't really stay with me for long enough to have a lasting effect on me.

It makes no difference...fiction, non fiction, essays, articles, it doesn't matter.

I don't know why this is the case, but it seems that since I've been an adult*, I've just never been able to hold on to most of the information I have taken in via the written word.

I suppose I kind of have an answer to this question, though. I did read The Yankee Years, by Joe Torre and Tom Verducci a year or so ago. As a result, I still hate the New York Yankees, just not with the same fervor as I used to. Why, I couldn't tell you...I don't specifically remember much about the book. I just remember appreciating it. That's a change, right?

*meaning, since I haven't viewed the act of reading as something I am made to do, rather than something I enjoy doing

No comments:

Post a Comment